Police are appealing for information following two burglaries in West Swindon yesterday.
Overnight between 16 and 17 October offenders broke into a home in Cartwright Driven in Shaw and stole car keys and a black Mercedes C Class 2010 from the driveway while the occupants slept.
The incident was reported at approximately 7.45am when the occupants woke and realised their vehicle had been stolen.
In a separate incident, a Viking Eco electric bike was stolen from a home in Stockbridge Copse in Peatmoor.
A Jasper Conran shoulder bag and purse containing bank cards was also stolen.
This incident is believed to have taken place between midnight and 7am on 17 October.
PC Paul Davis said: “Although we do not believe these incidents are linked, we are keeping an open mind and enquiries are ongoing.
“If you were in these areas overnight between 16 and 17 October and saw or heard any suspicious people or vehicles, please call police on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.”
Residents can reduce the risk of becoming victims of such crime by:
• Locking front and back doors when going out and not leaving accessible windows open in unoccupied rooms, no matter what the temperature is or how long you intend to be out.
• Being a nosey neighbour. Tell the police if you see anyone acting suspiciously in or around premises in your neighbourhood, and if possible, take the registration numbers of any unusual vehicles.
• Always taking your keys out of your lock as thieves can reach in and open the door.
• Putting valuables, including phone chargers (which imply a mobile phone is around), out of sight. It has been known for burglars to use hooks to pick up items through letterboxes, windows and cat flaps.
• Not leaving anything in reach of a cat flap.