Man starts masturbating near 16-year-old girl at Abbey Meads bus stop

A 16-year-old girl has been left frightened after a man, who was stood within two meters of her, exposed himself and began masturbating.

Investigating officer PC Pike
Investigating officer PC Pike

Wiltshire Police are now appealing for witnesses to the incident, which took place in Abbey Meads yesterday morning, 19 January, at around 7.10am.

North Swindon Police have released the following information:

“The school girl was walking away from the Abbey Meads Village Centre at about 7.10am, to catch the No 12 bus from Elstree Way, near the Ash Brake junction with Thamesdown Drive.

She saw a white man of average build run across the road ahead of her and then walked towards her, he was approximately 30 years old with brown hair and a moustache, wearing dark coloured tracksuit bottoms and a slightly lighter hooded top.

“He passed her on the footpath and doubled back to follow her to the bus stop where he stood within 2 meters of her and exposed himself and began masturbating. After a minute the bus arrived (0715am) and the girl jumped on board, but as she turned around to look out the window the man had vanished.

Investigating officer, PC 2614 Richard Pike said: “This was a frightening experience for the girl, who is being supported by the Neighbourhood Policing Team to overcome her ordeal.

“I’d like to appeal for anyone who may have been in the area, or on the bus, who may have seen this offender to come forward’. Witnesses are asked to call 101 and quote crime reference *05739.

“We would also advise parents to speak to their children about personal safety as there are a number of bus stops for secondary schools in that area where pupils will gather.”

PC Pike is always asking young people to in pairs or groups, or, if possible, be dropped off at bus stops by parents or carers.

He added: “If they see anyone who makes them feel uncomfortable they shouldn’t hesitate to call the police and shout for help. Patrols will be stepped up in the area to reassure local people, and an investigation is on-going.”